Friday, August 29, 2014

Remembering Grandpa

My grandfather passed away a couple of hours ago. I'm halfway around the world right now, so I couldn't be there with him at the end. But I was there with him for almost twenty years, I spent more time with him than anyone else other than my grandmother, so sufficed to say, I knew him rather well.

He was a tough old guy. He was made of iron. He had a belly made of iron, forearms that made Hellboy's rock hand look like it was made of silly putty, and his hands were covered in callouses.

And man, was he ever pissed. The guy lived upset of just about everything. I think it fueled him right to the bitter end. He was hard on his kids, but as he got older, man, was he the biggest softy in the world to his grandkids and great grandkids.

If you asked him about his politics or views on society, he'd sound like one of those old fashioned racists that we know some old folks to be. But if you saw him from day to day like I did, the man got along with everyone he met, and everyone he met dug the hell out of him. I remember once filling out his voting form, and of course he wanted me to tick "no" on the gay marriage act. I, of course confused him into voting for "yes" on gay marriage. Not a couple of days later, we were driving around, and we happened across a gay couple on the street. They were holding hands, and he flippantly said, "They should just get married and get it over with." That made me laugh, that's the kind of guy he was.

He may have been one of the most stubborn guys you ever met. But my grandfather was also one of the most giving men I ever knew. He may bitch and moan about doing a particular thing, but he'd do it, cause he loved his family. And we love him.

My grandfather never once refused to help me when I needed it. I hope that I could be as giving to my grandkids one day.

He would've hated the hoopla that's about to go down at his funeral (not sure when that will be), he hated anyone having much ado over him.

So invite you all to take a drink when you get a chance, (which is what he would've done) and help me toast my grandfather.

Papa Oscar, I love you so much you cantankerous, lovable man. I'm glad that when I left, I got to kiss you goodbye and tell you I love you. I'm glad we got the last moment together, and I will be forever grateful for everything you have done for me. I have some of the best memories with you, thank you for being there for me, and thank you for having my back.

Love you forever.

And here's a song I know you loved. Take care old timer.

No comments: