Tuesday, September 18, 2007

When life gives you lemons...

Take them.

Lemons are getting expensive today.

I was in the car today, I had my cousin in the passenger seat, and we were coming down the hill, and then up hers to get to her house. As we started up the very steep, San Francisco hill, there's a van pulling out, it's taking its very sweet time. If I go up and over this hill, this girl is dropped off, and then I can go on to do my own thing. I contemplate waiting. But seeing as I want to drop the kid off, I opt to back down and take another street. I go down that hill, and then up another. That hill is blocked by a bulldozer. I laugh, and one of the construction guys comes up to me, and says, it'll be a while.

I back down and go up and I pass by the original hill, the van is gone, but there's another car there, and it seems like it might be leaving.

I drive by, and take the long way around. I smile at my cousin and say to her, "You know, both times we tried to get there fast, and it seems life wasn't down for that. So I'll take the long way, which, if I would have done in the first place, we would already have been there by now."

So I leave you with this. If life gives you lemons, you can make lemonade. But before you do, take a moment with that lemon. It may not be the sweetest citric fruit in the family. But I bet there's a lot more you can do with it other than make lemonade. Just take a step back from the juicer.

No comments: